Tuesday, June 23, 2020

COVID-19 and Training Rides


Lake Waubesa Bike Path

On March 12, I left the office at American Family, to begin a temporary work from home situation.  Little did I know then that was to be my last formal day in the office at Amfam. The Wisconsin governor shortly later issued a “Safer From Home” restriction, and the entire state was essentially under quarantine rules. No gatherings, no school, no work from the office, no church. Likely the most unusual time period in my life!

Living alone and working from home was an isolating experience for me.  The favorite part of every day for me was the bike ride.  We were permitted to have exercise outdoors as long as we maintained social distancing. For me that was permission to ride the bike. We had unusually sunny weather throughout the months of April and May, and I was able to log many miles.  During the early rides the germ of an idea began to form. 

I had always dreamed of a long bike vacation. After considerable thought, the Lewis &  Clark Expedition bike route seemed like the best idea, because it’s starting location coincides with my relatives homes in the St. Louis area. I would be able to start by riding to STL, and then rest at my sister Audrey’s, and fine tune my riding plans and gear for the Lewis & Clark Ezpedition route.

I completed many training rides in the McFarland area, and most of them included the  new bike path that borders the north edge of Lake Waubesa. My favorite part of every ride, this bike path includes a mile long bridge with beautiful views of Lake Waubesa.  This bike path is as fine as any I expect to ride on during the vacation.  People say that Wisconsin. Is one of the most beautiful states.  Here are photos of spots I visited during my training rides.

Sunset on Bernies Beach, Madison
Metal Sculpture, West of Lake Waubesa 


Cascade Mountain - Some bike hill work

View from Covered Bridge

Covered Bridge, Muscoda, WI

Wisconsin River - Wis. Rapids

Wisconsin River



Cranberry Bog  - Wis. Rapids

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...