Monday, June 29, 2020

June 18: Missouri and Oak Hollow Campground


Railroad Park at Donnellson IA

In some respects, a repeat of yesterday. Traveling south as I am taking the shortest route to St Louis. A nice early start so by late morning I was ready for a break.  I was in Donnellson, IA the last place in IA before the Missouri line. Lunch was a walking taco from of all places, a food truck.  The only other food option was Casey’s General Store, so I was happy for the variety.  Then stopped at a Dollar Store for some cookies, which I really had no good way to take along. Some kids were playing in the park and asked if they could have a cookie, so I let them finish the package. Old fashioned Dutch almond windmill cookies. Probably a new taste experience for the kids! It was fun as they asked a lot of questions about the bike and where I was going.  A geocache is hidden in the same park, and it was advertised to be a little more difficult than my typical search.  But I had plenty of time, and after a search of 30 minutes or so, I was successful.

By late afternoon, I had crossed the Des Moines River and entered Missouri. When you cross into Missouri, you are inundated by fireworks stands. I found no food on the first exit, just fireworks. Finally on the second exit, I had supper at Denny’s. The first real city in Missouri is Canton and still a ways away, so I looked for the closest campground. I stayed at Oak Hollow ⛺️.  Very new, it had a nice pool, but yet again my arrival was too late to take advantage of that amenity. The campground was around 5 miles off course; near a community named St. Patrick. Nice quiet backroads for bike travel, but the last mile and half was on a very rough dirt road.

Miles: 58
Elevations: High: 719. Low: 509, at Des Moines River
Max speed: 31.0
Geocache hidden underneath the railroad trolley car

Donnellson- Mennonite Community

Des Moines River

Missouri State Line

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...