Monday, June 29, 2020

June 19: Hannibal, MO - First rain


First rain of the trip in Hannibal, MO

The last few days have been similar, without major sightseeing attractions, as I am making my way toward St Louis. This would change today.  I could’ve continued along US 61 all the way to the St. Louis area, and undoubtedly would have if traveling by car. So to mix things up, I decided to take a more scenic route.  This was MO 79 which closely follows the Mississippi River. Hannibal was the starting point on Rt 79.

Hannibal was the boyhood home of Samuel  Clemens, aka Mark Twain.  It is a Mississippi River town, and it’s downtown area has many tourist businesses related toTom Sawyer and Huck Finn.  I have a copy of Tom Sawyer included in my gear for light reading.

Miles: 51
Elevations: High: 674. Low: 470 ( all time low elevation on the trip so far)
Max speed: 31.6

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...