Monday, June 29, 2020

June 17: Pleasant ride to Updog Campground



Updog Camoground at Mt Pleasant, IA

Back on the bike after a rest day, I tried my new strategy of early starts to avoid the warmest weather of the day.  I may have mentioned earlier, that most of my training rides were done in coolish weather, usually with a jacket.  But of course the predominant  weather feature of the vacation is likely to be hot weather. Facing headwinds again today, my route was simply south along US 218, a four lane high speed highway. Most of the route featured  nice shoulder riding. At times I was able to jump off the main road to take quiet roads running parallel.

The goal today was Mt. Pleasant, which is a southern Iowa community which merits its name.  Home of Iowa Wesleyan University, it’s a quiet town. Supper was inside dining at Hyvee. Stuffed myself with some   Chinese and dessert.  Updog was the first private campground of the trip. I had a great site to myself down by the water and away from the RVs.

Miles: not recorded (estimate 53)
Elevations:  High 762. Low: 611
Max speed: 25.0 
A quiet road in Southern Iowa

Iowa backroad

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you on your retirement chapter and impressed with your story so far. Looking forward to following your adventure. It was great having you here, stay safe and healthy.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...