Sunday, June 28, 2020

June 15 Iowa City - Hawkeye Country


Beginning of day = ready to roll from McBride St Park

After 4 long days in the saddle, I knew I needed a rest day soon. The route would turn mainly to the south now, as i was beyond the edge (west) of the Illinois-Iowa state line. After a couple days of riding to the south my route would take me southeast to St. Charles, MO, where my sister Audrey resides.

This day dawned warmer than any of the previous days, so for the first time temperatures were going to be a factor in day planning. Now traveling back into a southerly headwind I began to realize that a moderate headwind was agreeable when temps were too hot.  I was particularly a slow moving vehicle as I rode along Iowa Highway 1.  Stopping for some food and respite from the heat, Nate at North Dodge Express went way out of his way to help me find a good room for the evening. He gave me his phone and dialed the number of a local Hilton hotel. An hour later I had a room reserved!  Changing email addresses reaches into all areas ofyypur life including credit cards,  rewards programs, etc.

So far I have been impressed how helpful people have been for me. I’m wearing a  bright neon vest, and drivers are really courteous in giving me room along the edge of the traffic lanes.  Iowa City was hospitable; it’s a much smaller community than Madison. I spent two nights and gave the legs a break. I rode around the campus and got some shots of iconic Univ. of Iowa scenery.  I found a golf course a 
Nd played a quick 9 holes. Scored a 60 - easily the best score of the year for me.

Miles: 18
Elevations: High: 839. Low: 642
Max Speed: did not record
Univ. of Iowa Pedestrian Bridge

Kinnick Stadium


Old Capitol - University of Iowa

Shot a 60


I-80 Main St of America


Along Hoover Bike Path


Hoover Bike Path


Ready to Roll- Lake McBride Camping


No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...