Sunday, June 28, 2020

June 14: Mason’s Game and Cedar Rapids


Cedar River Trail - Iowa


Last night I contacted Pat to find out the location of the tournament, and caught a break as the tournament was in Marion, which was northeast of Cedar Rapids by a good 10 miles, and right on my way. So it turned out I only had  15 miles left to go. Bad news, Mason was only going to play one more game and that was at 8:00AM. Which meant a 6:30 departure, and hopefully the tail wind would persist from yesterday.  I was lucky, and if anything, the tailwind was even stronger! 

So up and going early, I was racing the clock to try to arrive by 8:00AM. I could see the light poles for the tournament from 3 or more miles away.  I rolled into the athletic fields  at 7:55AM.  I would have made it for the first pitch, except for the long walk from the parking lot to the diamond. Mason was home team, so batting second, I arrived just as the first batter for his team came up to the plate.  Mason hit second and legged out an infield single, and I was there to see it.  Mason’s team won the game easily, and I had a nice visit with his parents and grandparents.  

I had a dine in experience with the grandparents at a local restaurant, and by noon everyone else had left for Wisconsin.  So back on my own, I headed out for downtown Cedar Rapids in order to find the site of the USA Curling Championships in 2021.  I found the arena located just west of the Cedar River, but not a soul around. I took a couple pictures and gave my legs a rest.  My daily mileage goal for the trip is 50 miles on full riding days, and I had exceeded that everyday so far.  I selected Lake McBride State Park for my campsite and took off.  A short time later I came across the Cedar Bike Trail, which is a high quality
 concrete surface trail that headed toward Iowa City. I arrived at the park just in time to select a campsite and set up the tent. Much better set up this time. One key: select grassy ground to push the stakes into.

Miles: 50
Elevations: High: 973  Low: 712 - at the Cedar River
Max Speed:  33.8 

Mural at arena

Arena - Site of US Nationals

Cedar Rapids Memorial

Cedar River

Cedar River

Geocache found in Cedar Rapids

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...