Sunday, June 28, 2020

June 13 - Tail Wind, Wapsipinicon State Park, Anamosa IA






Mississippi River  - Dubuque


Saturday started as expected, with the long climb from the river level, and a brief return to Wisconsin, so that  I could reach Highway 151. It is legal to ride the bike on the 151 bridge which people in that area call the Wisconsin Bridge. I stopped briefly to take this photo of the Mississippi River, which would dominate the first part of the journey.

I got a late start today, at 10:30AM. I  am carrying a lot of gear and is taking me an hour to get rolling. Also slept late after exhausting day yesterday.  My goal for the first days of the ride was to get to Cedar Rapids in order to watch Pat Roe’s son play baseball in a tournament.  The headwinds of the first two days  made it look like I would be unable to make that goal. As I crossed into Iowa, I rode past a Fazoli’s which offered inside dining. I could not pass that up, so after lunch I stopped at Ace Hardware, got the Bug Soother, and got ready to tackle the tough hills of Dubuque. That Bug Soother is potent.  The gnats stayed away. Without me even opening the bottle 😂.

I did get a rain shower while climbing back up to normal Iowa elevation of around 1000 feet.stopped for a break around 4:00PM, while still in the Dubuque area. Mason’s tournament still 60 miles away.  No chance now, except a fresh breeze from the East, a tailwind!  The next 38 miles were upon Highway 151 which offered a good riding surface on the shoulder, and I started to fly. I chose Wapsipinicon State Park in Anamosa for my goal to camp out.  Sun set just I got to Anamosa, and I found the park. I didn’t care for the park road to the camp ground, a steep hill.  

First time with the new tent, I struggled a bit but finally got it up and secure as it got dark. 

Miles: 61
Elevations: High: 1125. West of Dubuque. Low: 603 E. Dubuque
Max Speed: didn’t record it



Wisconsin State Line

Wisconsin Bridge

Iowa corn fields - no surprises here

Iowa farm along Highway 151 

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...