Friday, June 26, 2020

June 11- Dream Endings and New Beginnings


Van Vleck Hall - UW Madison

This is a significant place in my life history.  This is the math building at UW and the central point of my  goal to become a professor of mathematics when I enrolled at UW in 1992 - so long ago! This also was the place where I made the decision in March, 1994 to take a different path and become an actuary.  The decision was a hard one for me; it was made for practical reasons- job market outlook, financial aspects, and class schedule, to name a few.  

Since then the actuarial career has turned out to be exactly as promised. A masters degree, and 24 years employed by a great company while staying in Madison! I’ve been so fortunate in how the career has turned out.  But now, I am good and ready to be finished being an actuary, and I plan to dedicate more of my time to my original passion, which is mathematics. 

So this is the place where a love for math took root, a career was decided, and now a place which symbolizes my next steps with this retirement send-off. So you vacation begins with a couple math books included in those bike packs.

Enough preliminaries:  let’s get rolling!   Today I traveled along the Southwest Bike Path in Madison and then the Military Ridge Bike Path to end in Dodgeville. I checked out the boarded up stores on State St in Madison.  The Military Ridge Bike path visites the cute little town of Mt Horeb, with its appreciation for trolls. Savin’ Walton stands in front of the American Family agency, and is also the location of a neat geocache, and a travel bug that I am taking along on the trip.  Oh the world we will see!

In Barneveld I rode past a Thursday evening First Communion reception.  A result of the Coronavirus pandemic.  The impact of the virus would be pervasive on my journey.  Supper this evening was Walgreens, since the drive thru restaurants don’t want a bike traveler to use the drive thru. In Ridgeway
The 90th meridian ran smack down the middle of a short residential street. I wonder if the inhabitants are aware they are exactly one quarter of the world away from  the prime meridian (Greenwich).

Mileage: 58
Elevations: High: 1350 Blue Mound  Low: 835 Lake Waubesa.  Crossed 1000 feet on Southwest Bike Path, near Midvale.
Max speed: 25.7


First  Communion - Barneveld
Along Military Ridge Trail

State St - Madison
Wavin’ Walton troll


90 degrees west longitude 
Military Ridge Road





No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...