Sunday, July 12, 2020

July 11: Where is the rain?


T
This is Oscar

Starting to sound like a broken record. Sunshine and 92. Yesterday, I heard two guys talking about the weather in Liberty. Talking about the unbroken string of hot days. One said that rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. The other said, “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

I was hoping for a longer ride today, as rain was in the forecast. A brief shower in the morning which I figured I could ride through. Then a more severe storm in the afternoon. Well, the rain shower didnt happen in the morning, not a cloud in the sky. Cloudless skies continued into the early afternoon, and I knew then and there I was going to get no break in the temps today either.  Seems like the Missouri weathermen are about as good as those we have in Wisconsin.

I  arrived at Platte City around 12:30 without taking a look at the temperature on the phone, because I knew what it was going to show.  It was 90. At Smithville I had the opportunity to rejoin the Adventure Cycling map route which I had disbanded several days ago at Higginsville, in order to visit KC. The mapped route was 16 miles, to Platte City, taking a winding route on back roads with numerous turns. Th3 MO state map showed a direct route of 12 miles. I decided to take the direct route, even though I knew what I was in for. The Adventure Cycling map had avoided the obvious Route for a reason; Highway 92 must be bad for cycling. Indeed it was. A busy two lane country highway with no shoulder. Most of it double yellow line as it was up and down.  It was a punishing route, and I knew it was above my temperature limit, but I had no choice. There was no town until a Platte City. Finally I arrived and had lunch at. Dairy Queen. I hung out there for a couple hours  waiting to see if the storms were going to happen. It was either get a hotel room there, or ride 25 miles to the next place.  I gave it up for the day. I made the right choice; 
Another 25 miles in that heat would’ve been dangerous. 

In today’s picture you can see Oscar. I picked him up along the roadway, next to a dead animal carcass. We’ll see how long he hangs around.

Miles: 29
Elevations: High 1011 at Liberty; Low 815 also at Liberty
Max speed: 32.9mph

3 comments:

  1. Hello-

    Read Oscar the lizard post Monday noonish, 7/13/2020. Wish you'd get a break in the weather with some cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to meet Oscar. Hope he is a good companion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to meet Oscar. Hoping the weather gets better.

    ReplyDelete

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...