Thursday, August 13, 2020

August 6: My night at the fishing bait tackle and lodge in Pollock

 

 
                            Nice view of Lake Oahe between  Mobridge and  Pollock, SD

Today, I take my final ride in SD, as I travel to Pollock, the last place in SD. This makes 17 days in South Dakota;  Elk Point on day 1 seems like a dim memory. The Missouri River travels more miles in South Dakota, than any other state so far.
I greet the day by seeing fog hanging low over Lake Oahe.  The sun eventually burns off the fog, and the rest of the day my views of  Lake a Oahe are unimpeded. My route continues to be on SD 1804.  Just out of Mobridge I see  a sign on 1804 indicating the next 35 miles will have road construction.  Wonderful, that happens to correspond exactly to my mapped route!  It turns out that I never come across a work zone; the road construction was in the form of a new layer of oil. Luckily the oil must have been applied  a while ago, as the road surface was dry for the most part. 
I had great weather today, and highway 1804 provided some really scenic views. I really appreciated the contrast in color displayed before me, with the variety of crops and cloudless sky. No complaints about the road or route today. 
But the most interesting part of this day took place after the miles were finished. I arrive in Pollock around  5:00PM. There’s a grocery store, a bar and grill, and the Pollock fishing lodge. My maps indicate lodging available in Pollock, so this must be it. I enter the business and talk to the owner about a place to stay.  Sure he has a couple sleeping rooms in there that are available. I’m sure these rooms are most often used by customers who need a place to stay, before or after their guided fishing trip.  I check out a room, and it seems OK. At 6:00 PM, the owner gives me the key to the front door, and leaves for the day!  It’s me, myself and I in this place and nobody else. The place is a bit messy, to put it kindly. The guy is obviously a successful fishing guide, by taking a look at all of his plaques.  But I’m guessing the place hasnt seen a broom in a while.
Needless to say, it turns out to be one of the most unusual sleeping accommodations I’ve ever stayed in.
I get up fairly early, and load up the bike. I leave the key in the hiding place the owner indicated, and I’m on my way to my next adventure, without ever seeing.  anybody else inside the place. The following day I find out there actually is a normal motel in Pollack.

Miles: 37.4 
Northern progress:;25.1 miles: western progress: negative 7.8 miles  (I.e., I actually traveled to the East
Elevations:  Max 2101; Min. 1640; 
Max speed: 35.5 mph


                                        Fog in the morning over Lake Oahe at Mobridge


                             Turned out to be a false alarm. Did not come across a work zone

                                                      Nice contrast in colors

 Wind farm along the route

Scenic route along Lake Oahe 

Beautiful weather today

                                                   Pollock Lodge - looks kinda sketchy!
The owner must be very good at fishing - awards wall

The place is a bit junky 
This is the table from which the business arrangements as fishing guide happen
 
Anybody need an outboard motor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...