Monday, June 29, 2020

June 24: St Louis area


Katy Trail Eastbound

I spent about a week at my sister Audrey’s house in St. Charles, a suburb of St. Louis. The week here was primarily for rest, and trip shakedown. I’m going to divest myself of unneeded gear, so that the uphills should be a little easier. Another important activity was writing this journal, bringing it up-to-date. Additionally, visiting the rest of the relatives, checking out some tourist areas. I also had to do a couple of bike rides while here, in order to make the bike journey one continuous line. 

Since the first phase of the ride ended in St. Charles, I had to do a ride to get to the starting point of the 
Lewis and. Lark Expedition bike trail, which starts in Hartford Illinois, at the confluence of the two rivers.   Today  I covered most of that requirement by biking to Alton Il, near Hartford. The picture above shows a rare weather condition during the summer, low humidity. Sharp horizon, clear blue skies. A very enjoyable ride with temps only in the lower 80’s.

Miles: 39
Elevations: High 630 Highway 94 bicycle overpass. Low: 426 at Alton
Max. Speed 26.0

Lock and Dam No. 26 Mississippi


Clark Bridge = Alton IL

Katy Trail Eastbound

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 11: Parshall and New Town

Van Hook Bay of Lake Sakakawea near New Town A familiar foe showed up on day 4 - a tough headwind.  Generally, this year I found the cycling...